On a Monday evening my daughter comes round for dinner, before she and hubby go to Art class. They’ve been going for a few weeks now and enjoy the relaxation of doing Art and it’s a release from their hectic jobs.
Faye is a vegan , this is a great excuse for me to try out new recipes or make stuff up and also for me to have ‘Meat Free Monday’! I also wanted to make something that would be very easy so I wasn’t slaving over a hot cooker when I could also be spending a bit of time with Faye before she goes off with Dad!
For tonight, I fancied making a bean chilli. So when I was doing my food shop I came across a tin of Mixed Beans in a Spicy Tomato Sauce. I thought that this would be a great base to add to. The sauce itself does have a spicy flavour but I found it needed more ‘oompf’ so I added more chilli.
Well it turned out lovely and I would definitely make it again. It made enough for two decent portions and Faye took home the leftovers for her lunch tomorrow.
- tin of mixed beans in spicy tomato sauce
- tin of butter beans
- tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper -chopped
- 1 red bell pepper – chopped
- 2 green jalapeno peppers – sliced (mine were home grown and not that hot, so you may want to change depending on the heat of your chilli)
- 1 onion – chopped
- 1 large clove garlic – finely chopped or use garlic press
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes (or more if you want it hotter)
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the bell peppers, jalapeno peppers and onions and cook gently for 5 minutes until soft
- add the garlic and chilli flakes and cook for a few seconds
- then add the mixed beans and tinned tomatoes and gently simmer for 10 minutes until it thickens.
- Add the butter beans and gently heat through for about 5 minutes, being careful that they don’t go mushy
- season to taste and serve with wholegrain rice with a dollop of mashed avocado mixed with lemon juice and black pepper
I hope you find this recipe useful, even If it gives you some inspiration to make your own version ♥