I remember these when they were by Dietary Specials and called breakfast rolls. The first time I had them I remember thinking they were lovely and just like cakey bread. I’m not surprised Schar rebranded them and called them Brioche. I often have a packet in the cupboard for when I need a quick snack. They are lovely with just jam or banana and are very satisfying.
The other day I made some Almond Macaroons, I only need the whites of two eggs for this recipe so I was left with two yolks. I also had a couple of the Brioche rolls left that were beginning to go a bit stale so I though I would try and make a ‘bread and butter’ pudding.You will need:
- 2 brioche sliced
- 100ml milk
- 4 tablespoons double cream
- the two egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- handful of the dried cranberries
- grated orange
- and some ground nutmeg
- preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas4
- Grease a dish with butter
- Slice the Brioche ( I didn’t butter it as I felt they were buttery enough) and layer it in the dish with the cranberries and sprinkle over the sugar.
- Combine the milk and cream and heat in a saucepan, being careful not to allow it to boil
- Whisk the egg yolks into the warmed milk and cream add the orange zest and then pour over the brioche
- Finish with a sprinkling of nutmeg then pop in the oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and set.
- when done, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly then dish up and slather with cream and enjoy!