This morning I fancied making something quick and sweet for a special treat to have with our cuppa. I like to have homemade goodies readily available rather than shop bought biscuits and cakes for several reasons:
- they are tastier and healthier – homemade cakes are additive-free and made with natural ingredients
- they are of course always gluten free, so I can indulge too
- I know what’s in them – with all the chemicals shop-bought cakes have in them, the ingredient lists read more like a science experiment than a food item!
- and because it’s so much nicer to offer homemade treats when friends pop in
This recipe is naturally gluten free and dairy free and for that matter grain free too. It makes about 18 -20 little bite sized morsels. These little fun bites can be stored up to a week in an airtight container, although in this house they are usually gone by day two!
You will need:
- 2 medium eggs (the whites only)
- 1 cup of icing sugar, sifted
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup of shredded coconut ( it works with desiccated too)
- 1/3 of a cup of dried cranberries (or cherries)
- a few drops of almond essence
- Preheat oven to 150C/140C(fan)/300F/Gas2
- line one large or two small baking sheets with baking parchment
- whisk the egg whites until very stiff then fold in icing sugar
- then fold in ground almonds, coconut and essence to form a sticky dough
- finally fold in cranberries and then spoon onto baking trays
- bake for 25 minutes until pale and golden
- when cooked transfer to a wire rack until cold
Now make yourself a nice cup of tea and enjoy!