I like to think I eat healthily most of the time, but occasionally I just hanker for something just a little naughty, but nice. This recipe for Victoria Sandwich or Vanilla Layer Cake, whatever you want to call it, is so easy and makes a rather large cake for you to add whatever filling you like. This time I chose strawberry jam and real whipped up cream, but I’ve made it with butter cream before which is just as nice, or you could put sliced strawberries with cream in the centre. It’s a great sponge and I’ve used it many a time for the basis of a birthday cake or two. Or in this case just to fuel my cravings. I’ve also made it lactose free before for my son, I used Pure Dairy Free instead of butter and Lactofree milk.
You will need:
- 225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 210g gluten free self raising flour ( I used Dove Farm)
- 25g cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 large free range eggs, at room temperature (not from fridge)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons semi-skimmed milk, at room temperature
- pre-heat oven to 180C/160C(fan)/350F/gas mark 4
- grease and line two 20cm cake tins with either greaseproof paper or I use cake tin liners
- Put the butter and all the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds until evenly mixed
- gradually add the remaining ingredients (eggs ,milk ,vanilla extract), processing briefly until just combined. Don’t be tempted to overmix or you will take all the air out of the cake.
- spoon the mixture evenly between the two tins and bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until raised and golden brown.
- To check the cakes are done, insert a skewer into the middle and if it comes out clean – they are ready
- remove from the oven and allow to cool in their tins for a few minutes then turn cakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely
- once they are cooled, then you can sandwich them together with whatever filling you want
- if you like sift some icing sugar on top to make it look even more pretty
Now make yourself a cup of tea and enjoy!