I have tried several recipes for energy bars and this is the one that all the family like. My daughter has just recently chose to go vegan and so this ones for her…
- 125g Apricots (roughly chopped)
- 150ml orange juice
- 50g Coconut oil (or 50g butter for not vegan)
- 75g maple syrup (or 75g runny honey for not vegan)
- 150g unrefined cane sugar (demerara)
- 175g Pure gluten free porridge oats
- 50g sultanas
- 75g pecan nuts
- 50g mixed pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- 25g sesame or other seeds (eg linseed)
- Line a square ‘brownie’ tin (approx. 9inches) with baking parchment
- Oven temp – 190c/375c/gas mark 5
- In a large saucepan bring the apricots and orange to the boil and simmer gently (uncovered) for about 20 mins so that the apricots are soft then blitz them in a food processor to make a puree
- Put puree back in saucepan and add the coconut oil, maple syrup and sugar. Cook over a low heat for about 5 mins to dissolve the sugar – keep an eye and stir occasionally
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. The mixture will be quite sticky
- Spoon into the lined tin, level the sticky mixture and press down, I find using the back of a fork better as it sticks to anything else.
- Bake for 15 minutes, check if done, if it still seems a bit goey in the middle give it another 5 mins. You may have to flatten it down again.
- When done allow to cool in the tin, then turn out, remove lining and cut into whatever size you want.