This is a lovely risotto recipe that is flavoursome and it’s easy to make. A great mid-week dinner inspo. I have adapted it to be vegan and for two portions. Choose a nice Italian wine, like Valpolicella, so that you can enjoy the rest with the meal.
Red Wine Risotto
- servings – 2
- cooking time – 25 mins
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 225ml red wine
- 60 g vegan butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil plus more to drizzle
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 150g risotto rice ( arborio or carnaroli)
- 125g mushrooms, sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- optional – Nutritional Yeast
- A handful of rocket to garnish
- Place the stock and wine in a saucepan and simmer gently
- Melt half the butter with the oil in a heavy based saucepan, add the onions and garlic and saute gently for 5 minutes
- Add the rice and stir well to coat each grain with the buttery mixture.
- Add enough stock to cover the rice and stir well.
- Simmer gently, stirring frequently, when the liquid is almost absorbed, then add another ladle full of stock.
- Continue adding the stock in stages and stirring until absorbed.
- When half the stock has been incorporated, add the mushrooms and continue with stage 6.
- The rice is ready when all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice still has a little bite to it. You don’t want to over cook otherwise it will be stodgy.
- When ready, add the rest of the butter, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well
- Stir in nutritional yeast if desired,
- Spoon the rice onto two plates, place the rocket on top and drizzle with a glug of olive oil
Source: Recipe adapted from ’30 – minute Italian’ by Fran Warde