Last night the men in our lives were out and about in town with their respective amigos, so my daughter, Faye, came round and we decided to have a cook off and then settle down to watch the film The Dressmaker. A proper girls night in!
Together we made our favourite spicy guacamole and I sourced a recipe from the Internet for a vegetarian/vegan chilli. It was ‘girl spice’ heaven.
Guacamole: in a food processor put 2 ripe chopped avocados, 4 chopped spring onions, one chopped red chilli pepper, juice of a lime and whizz until as smooth as you like. We had them with our favourite tortilla chips – Manomasa Tortilla chips with chipotle and lime, both gluten free and vegan.
For the mixed bean chilli you will need:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g canned mixed beans
- 300ml (1/2 pt) vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, red and green peppers, coriander and chilli powder, and fry for approximately 5 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomato puree, cumin and paprika, and heat through. Add the tomatoes, beans, stock and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat and bring to the boil. Then reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice, rice and chips or jacket potato and salad.